One of the reasons why people don’t choose whole food over processed food is because these so-called natural foods are very expensive. Staying healthy is definitely not cheap, but if you look at how costly it is to get sick, you may want to rethink your strategy.
This is where having a whole food kitchen becomes attractive. There’s no need to worry about the price with the following tips below on how to have a whole food kitchen without putting a dent on your bank:
1. Grow your own. If you have space in your yard, why not grow some edible plants there? It’s much cheaper to buy seeds than produce.
2. Look for free food. You’d be surprised at how many plants grow in your neighborhood – even if you live in the city. Fishing and hunting are also a good option if you don’t want to pick fruits or veggies in your area.
3. Don’t throw food away. Eating leftovers may not be appealing for you. However, if you put aside the food you didn’t eat last night and freeze it, you will be able to save a lot by making a soup out of it.
4. Pack your own lunch. Try eating at a restaurant that says they only serve healthy food and you will see just how expensive your meal can be. Instead of eating out, just pack your food that you have prepared at home to save money.
5. Eat nutritious food. Since you are eating foods that are rich in essential nutrients, you will eat less than you usually do. This is because your body is filled with the vitamins and minerals that it needs and this can cause you to feel satiated every meal.
6. Buy food without the fancy labels. Always check the ingredients list. If it has more than five items in it, look for another product with fewer ingredients.
7. Widen your options with protein. Instead of eating beef and chicken, there are other options if you want protein sources. These include beans, eggs, cheese, yogurt, and milk among others.
8. Buy in bulk. You will pay less if you buy in bulk, particularly with beef. Also, it is better if you buy meats that are frozen instead of fresh. Frozen beef is cheaper, along with frozen fish.
You can afford foods that are healthy by turning your kitchen into something that has whole food instead of processed food.