Ants are sneaky critters that could invade your home if you don’t do anything about the situation fast. Before you know it, they are all around the house, marching at every item you can find. You could be tempted to use products with strong chemicals, but you know these are not healthy for you, your family, and your pets. It is a good thing that there are actually effective ways to get rid of ants without using pesticides. Without further ado, here are natural methods that you can try to take out the ants and their whole nest:
1. Peppermint Essential Oil – Using a few drops of this essential oil on a cotton ball, wipe it on entry points every day or every few days until the ants leave you alone. It is also effective if you place the cotton ball inside cabinets or where you think the nest could be. You can also use the essential oil as an anti-ant spray.
2. Tea Tree Oil – Here’s another essential oil you can try. If you already have this at home, you probably know that it is a great all-around type of oil that can be used as a disinfectant and an antiseptic. Same as with peppermint essential oil, place a few drops of this oil on a cotton ball and do some wiping.
3. Vinegar – Using distilled white vinegar is another way to get rid of ants naturally. Just put some of the vinegar in places where there are ants, particularly at the entrance points. You can also spray along their path, which will terminate their pheromone trail. This is very effective, but you may have to reapply as soon as you see that the ants come back to where they used to march at.
4. Herbs or Spices – For those who don’t have essential oils, there are other options in the form of herbs and spices, including garlic, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, mint, black pepper, and bay leaves. Just place them at the entrance points and the ants will disappear in a few days.
5. Alcohol – If you have a spray bottle, combine one part rubbing alcohol to one part water. Spray at places where you see the ants crawling and make sure that you reapply every few days or whenever you see a new group marching again. As an alternative to rubbing alcohol, you can also use tequila.
You don’t have to buy pesticides that can negatively affect the health of everyone that lives in your house. With the techniques above, you can get rid of ants using everyday household items.