Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys, And Heart


Energy efficient light bulbs now become very popular and considered as eco-friendly as it save the energy. However the reality is different there exist some frenzy about the safety of these bulbs.

An emergency advisory was released by US environmental protection agency for this energy efficient product. The reason for the concern is the poisonous gas which is released when these bulb breaks.

Mercury Is Just The Beginning

Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute scientists did the research and found that energy saving light bulbs break indoors. This breakdown of bulbs fills the air with 20 times the upper safety limit of mercury in the environment.

This could lead to the following medical conditions:

  • Dizziness
  • Migraines
  • Cluster headaches
  • Seizure
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Anxiety
  • Fatigue

What Are The Other Risks?

We all know mercury as a neurotoxin. Thus, the high presence of mercury in air is dangerous for liver, brain, kidney and our entire nervous system. It is so harmful to us that it can also lead to damage to our reproductive system, immune system, and cardiovascular systems.

Furthermore, agreeing on The Daily Mail, “German researchers guaranteed that few cancer-causing chemicals and poisons were discharged when the earth inviting conservative fluorescent lights (CFLs) were exchanged on, including phenol, naphthalene and styrene.”

Here’s a Breakdown of Each of These Chemicals:

Phenol – A mellow cancer-causing agent which is known not very disturbing to the skin, eyes, and mucous layers in people after fleeing inward breath.

It can bring about sporadic breathing, muscle shortcoming and tremors, loss of coordination, shakings, trance-like state, and respiratory capture at high measurements.

Naphthalene – According to the National Pesticide Information Center, Naphthalene is produced using raw petroleum or coal tar. It can be found in things such as tobacco smoke and auto fumes.

The World Health Organization (WHO) reasoned that naphthalene is potentially cancer-causing to people.

Styrene – People presented to styrene are at a high danger of creating lymphohematopoietic diseases, for example, leukemia and lymphoma.

They might likewise experience the ill effects of hereditary harm to the white platelets, seriously influencing their safe framework.

What’s more, if that is insufficient, scientists at Stony Brook University in New York examining CFL globules closed “… [we] measured the measure of UV emanations and the honesty of every knob’s phosphor coatings. Results uncovered noteworthy levels of UVC and UVA, which seemed to start from splits in the phosphor coatings, present in all CFL knobs concentrated on.”

These beams are conceivably dangerous for both the eyes and skin. They additionally affect your safe framework, harm your skin and meddle with your body’s generation of vitamin D-3.

Crisis Protocol for Broken Energy Saving Light Bulbs

The EPA-suggested process for tidying up broken bulbs is the accompanying:


  • The first step is to make the room empty and move everybody out of it including your pets.
  • Open the windows and doors of the room and let fresh air flow into the room.
  • Make sure your switch off cooling or heating systems in the room if any.

Gather the following materials for the cleaning process:

  • Damp paper towels
  • Cardboard
  • Glass jar with a metal lid
  • Sticky tape

Cleaning Process

  1. Don’t use the vacuum cleaner as it can spread the powder or vapors of mercury in the room.
  2. First collect all the broken pieces of glass and clean the powder if it is spread on the ground.
  3. Scooped up the large pieces using cardboard whereas use a duct tape to remove the powder and tiny pieces spread on the ground.
  4. Carefully place the tape in the glass jar as well as other cleaning materials and seal the container.


For further disposal keep all the cleaning materials, pieces of bulb glass and powder in a sealed trash container before you dispose of it. Avoid leaving any cleaning material or debris indoor.

Now, contact the lock government authorities to take the left over of the broken bulbs for the proper recycling process.

In the room where the energy saving bulb broke down to keep the room open for a while so that proper air circulation will take place. Keep the heating and cooling system off for another couple of hours. Don’t allow your children or pets to be in the room for another 4-5 hours.

It is very important to take care of proper safety precaution to avoid the hazardous effect of the energy saving bulb on our body. Read all the recycle process and break down precaution carefully to keep yourself and your family safe from the mercury as well as other harmful chemicals